Jodie Mack

Jodie Mack is a British experimental animator who received a Masters of Fine Arts in film, video and new media from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 2007 and now is an associate Professor of Animation at Dartmouth College. She uses collage in her handmade films to explore the relationship between graphic cinema and storytelling as well as the tension between form and meaning.

One of her videos “Unsubscribe No. 4: The Saddest Song in the world” shows a college of paper scraps, which look like clippings from a magazine. It depicts the fun and challenging aspects of a relationship with the background music of “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?”

My favorite videos of hers is Lilly made in 2007. Its photo-negatives used to illustrated WWII tragedy. My favorite part is once it hits around 1:20. It gets pretty dark, with voices of children laughing and screaming with negatives of people. And then a voice comes and starts telling her story with shapes illustrating it. Shapes of bombs and swastika being shown as well as negatives of what I presume is the narrator’s photos of her wedding day (that she was talking about.) It was beautiful and sad.